Sunday, April 11, 2010

What's in your stomach?

If you know me in person, you will know I am one passionate person for food. If you've ever discussed with me the choice I make regarding where and when I buy my food you will know that I am very sick and tired of the standard fruits/veggies and meat that our society concumes. It really sickens me the way we have taught our chidlren and my generation to eat. I really desire for there to cleaner, sustainable,nutritionally rich, seasonally eaten, local foods around. We are definately a people who want things now no matter what the price is.
While hoping around and partying at the Ultimate Blog Party '10 I came across this website: thelocalcook.com.
She is doing things all local and in season. That means if tomatoes aren't in season, she isn't cooking them or eating them. She has also started "The Food and Faith Challenge" , which is seriously awesome. She is challenging people to live life a certain way.

If you are interested in consuming food sustainable, I highly recommend this book: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
Barbara moves her family from Tucson to a small farming community. She writes her true story of how her family survived one full year eating homegrown or locally grown food and in season food. Again, I highly recommend reading this book. It gives a lot of insight on how difficult of a job a farmer can have, how spoiled we have become and how nutritionally depleted our diets are. It is a definite eye opener.

Eating locally and in season are not just great ways to help "save our Earth" BUT it also provides our bodies with food that is nutritionally rich as opposed to a vegetable that was grown specifically because it either has great appearance, long shelf life or holds up well during a 1,000+ mile journey from farm to grocery store.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I look forward to reading form you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got married young, moved out of state with a husband who decided he was atheist, my family all but forgot me for years, I had a baby, was alone .. I get it. I hear you, I understand.
    Right now we're in Florida and desperately trying to get back to Washington. We moved from there about 5 years ago. It was home to me. Now if only we could find a job. :)
    It's not easy being in your position, but your not alone.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete